Legalities & FAQs

Silencers (or suppressors, which is really the more correct term), fall under the National Firearms Act (NFA) of 1934. This means they are legal for ownership by civillians in most states, but you have to pay the Government a one time transfer tax of $200 and undergo a background check to exercise your Constitutional Right.
  STEP 1: Ensure the item you want is legal in your state. Some states ban all NFA weapons, and some states simply ban certain types. If you live in California, Hawaii, Iowa, Illinois, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, or Vermont, you cannot own a suppressor. Do not attempt an “under the table” purchase, as any attempt to do so is soliciting a felony.
  STEP 2: Contact a local Class 3 dealer or Class 2 manufacturer and find out what needs to be done in your state to purchase an NFA item. If you don’t know a dealer that has the proper license (not just any FFL can do this) we may be able to provide a recommended dealer.
  ( NOTE: YOU do not generate the Form 4, Application for Tax paid Transfer, your DEALER generates this form and gives it to you once he has the suppressor in his possession.)
STEP 3: Send us your payment before we ship the suppressor to your dealer.  SRT Arms is not a cash and carry business and does not accept COD.
STEP 4: Please be patient. We typically start the paper work to transfer to your local dealer within 1-2 weeks of receipt of funds. That paperwork takes about 4 weeks to clear, then we send your suppressor to the local dealer (who typically will charge you a nominal transfer for his trouble and storage of your gun/suppressor). At that time he will give you the Form 4s, fingerprint cards, etc, and you get them filled out,  and send them into ATF with your $200. Some dealers will have you give the forms back to the dealer with your $200 check, and they will send it in. About 3-5 months after that, the ATF will send an approved Form 4 back to your local dealer, and you will get your suppressor.
STEP 4 Info: Effective the first of July, 2016, Chief law Enforcement Officer signoff is no longer required, and will be replaced by Chief law Enforcement Officer Notification. This applies to individual transfers as well as Trusts and Corporations, where all responsible parties of the trust and Corporations will need to get fingerprinted and photographed and submitted with the Form 4 application just like an individual transfer, but the CLEO signoff requirement has been removed. You will be required to NOTIFY the CLEO of your intent to transfer however, but they need to take no action unless they have knowledge your intent to transfer would be in violation of the law.

Frequently Asked Questions


Why does only the Comanche come apart for cleaning and the other suppressors are sealed?

Won’t my suppressor clog up if I can’t clean it?

Can you make your stainless rifle cans lighter to match some of your competitors?

I live in Arizona, can I buy direct from SRT Arms or do I have to go through a dealer?

Can I start the transfer of paperwork from my local dealer to me before you have shipped the suppressor to him?

Will your .30 can work on .223? How about using a .223 can on a .22?

Why do your suppressors have larger bores through the baffles than a lot of other suppressors?

Are there any cancellation fees if I need to cancel my order?

How do I select the best suppressor for me?

We warrantee our suppressors to be free from defects and will repair any such defects, however a damaged suppressor cannot simply be replaced with a new one if it cannot be repaired, an additional $200 transfer tax is required, and we will not be responsible for payment of this tax. The good news is, it goes directly back to you, not through a class dealer and no photos or fingerprints or LEO signature is required.  
Pistol Suppressors | Rifle Suppressors
SRT Arms proudly provides firearm suppression for clients in Military, Government, and Civilian sectors nationwide.

Contact Us: